Just in time for this weekend’s round of Holiday Parties: The Eggnog Martini! If you happen to be the designated host for any holiday parties this season, this recipe from Mount Gay Eclipse Rum may just turn out to be your secret weapon…
Makes 16 cups; serves 18-20.
- 8 large eggs
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 5 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 cup Mount Gay ECLIPSE Rum
- 1 cup 80º bourbon
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons superfine sugar
1. In a mixing bowl, whisk eggs, yolks and granulated sugar until smooth.
Pour into a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan. Stir in milk, gradually, blending well with each addition. Heat slowly over very low heat, stirring steadily, until the mixture reaches 160º-170ºF on an instant read thermometer.
The custard should be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon: If you draw your finger across the back of the spoon, the line will remain distinct and the custard sauce is done.
2. Pour the custard through a fine-meshed sieve into large bowl. Stir in vanilla the Mount Gay ECLIPSE rum, bourbon and nutmeg. Let mixture cool, then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until cold, at least three hours and or up to one day.
3. Just before serving, whip cream to very soft peaks, beating in, superfine sugar as you go. Gently fold into custard mixture until incorporated. Serve from a chilled punch bowl or ladle into individual martini glasses, garnishing with grated nutmeg if desired.
*Girly Drinks Eggnog Martini recipe and image courtesy of Mount Gay Eclipse Rum